Additional Resources for U.S. Citizens

Information for U.S. Taxpayers (Internal Revenue Service)

Obtaining Copies of U.S. Birth Certificates and Consular Reports of Birth

FBI Identity History Summary Check and Fingerprinting Services 



The U.S. Embassy cannot provide any information concerning U.S. tax questions. We do not maintain a list of tax accounts.  We refer you to the website of the Internal Revenue Service in the United States for assistance for all of the following:

The IRS Paris Officein Paris is Closed

This office no longer offers taxpayer assistance (including by mail, fax, walk-ins, or telephone). Please DO NOT send any more IRS forms or tax correspondence to the U.S. Embassy. Please send all mail directly to the U.S. addresses provided in each forms’ instructions.

If you are a taxpayer with specific individual or business account questions you should contact the International Taxpayer Service Call Center by phone or fax. The International Call Center is operational Monday through Friday, from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (American Eastern Time):

Phone: +1-267-941-1000
Fax:      +1-267-941-1055
Internal Revenue Service
International Accounts
Philadelphia, PA 19255-0725

Business taxpayers located outside the U.S. may also contact the IRS by mail at:
Internal Revenue Service
International Accounts
Ogden, UT 84201-0038

If you are a tax professional or software provider calling about an e-file issue and it is not account related, please contact the e-help office in Austin at +1-512-416-7750. Assistance is available Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (American Central time).  See also the following information:

Main Consular Services Listing


The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

Apostille for Documents Issued in the United States

U.S. Embassies and Consulates do not have the authority to affix an Apostille pursuant to the Hague Convention.

  • See below to obtain an Apostille on:

Apostille for Documents Issued in France

The American Citizen Services unit is building our American Liaison Network of Citizen Liaison Volunteers (CLV) to ensure that we maintain effective two-way communication between the U.S. Embassy and Consulates and U.S. citizens in France. We are looking for volunteers to serve as CLVs in various regions of France. If you or someone you know may be interested, or you just want to learn more, go here. 

Please see our list of French and American holidays.

More information on legal assistance can be found here.

Please read the following on reporting and recovering lost and stolen items.

To meet the requirements of the French government, U.S. citizens may sign an Attestation tenant lieu de certificat de coutume et de célibat  (PDF-388 KB) attesting that they are free to marry or enter a PACS.

This form does not require notarization by the U.S. Embassy.   If you wish to have your signature legalized you may do so at the local city hall – mairie –  with a valid U.S. passport.

If the mairie insists that the document must be notarized by the Embassy, you may make an appointment for a notary service at the U.S. Embassy in Paris or the U.S. Consulate General in Marseille or Strasbourg.  The consular fee is $50 per seal. Information on scheduling an appointment in Paris, Marseille or Strasbourg is available on the top of this page website page.

Go to this website page for information and guidelines on marriage and PACs in France.

You may also visit Department of State website for information marriage aboard.

Go to this page to read this information in French.


Please see our webpage on medical assistance.

Please visit the website of the French courts by district in order to obtain a list of certified translators (traducteurs assermentés). Individual lists are also available at French city halls.
For Paris, the list can be found here.
You may also check the website of the Court of Appeal having jurisdiction in your area and look for the list “Interprétariat – Traduction”.
Interpreters and translators are listed according to the language spoken.

Contact information for all routine U.S. citizen services, including all passports applications, notarial services, birth abroad or Federal Benefits is available on this webpage.