Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). U.S. non-citizen nationals are also eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, using the non-citizen option.


  • You can begin the application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) electronically if you are making an appointment in Paris (see below for instructions). For Consulates Marseille and Strasbourg, complete the paper Form DS-2029.
  • After completing your application, you must travel to the U.S. Embassy Paris, France, U.S. Consulate Marseille, or U.S. Consulate Strasbourg for the in-person interview.
  • CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. Passport applications must be completed and submitted separately.
  • If you would like to apply for your child’s social security number, contact the Social Security Office in Paris.

This new online process (eCRBA) allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a Consular Report of Birth Abroad application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview. Note that you need to meet the criteria below to apply online. If you don’t meet any of the criteria, you must apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029).

To begin the online application, you need to create a MyTravelGov account. MyTravelGov is a secure, encrypted portal. Once you complete the online application and submit payment, you will be directed to schedule your appointment at the U.S. Embassy. You can schedule your appointment here.

To apply for a CRBA online, you MUST meet all the following criteria:

  • You are applying for an appointment in Paris
  • The child was born in France
  • The child is under the age of 18
  • At least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born.
  • You did not use Assisted Reproductive Technology to have your child.
  • You can use a credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar-denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application?
  • You are a biological parent of the child for whom you are applying for a CRBA

Due to limited appointments during the current health crisis, only applicants located in PACA, Occitanie, Monaco and Corsica may apply in Marseille at this time. Other applicants should apply at the Embassy in Paris (see above).

If you want to apply for a CRBA in Marseille or Strasbourg, please complete Form DS-2029. After you’ve completed the form, you can make your appointment for the in-person interview.

Make your appointments after you have completed the online (for Paris) or paper application (for Marseille and Strasbourg).When using the online application, please plan to schedule your appointment for a minimum of three days (72 hours) after submission to allow payment processing to be completed.

  • For Paris, make your appointment here.
  • For Marseille, make your appointment here.
  •  For an in-person interview in Strasbourg, call 01 43 12 47 11 or email

If you are unable to find an available appointment online and you have a ticketed flight within the next three weeks, please contact the location you wish to have an interview:, or Attach a copy of your ticket to request service.

Your child must be present at the interview. Both parents must be present for children under 16. If one parent cannot be present, please see the instructions on this page under #7, “Show Parental Consent.”

You need the following for your appointment:

  • Documentation to prove Transmission of U.S. Citizenship by parents (originals and one copy)
  • Completed, printed Form DS-2029 (PDF 110 KB) (downloadable online)
  • Child’s original French birth certificate (copie integrale)
  • One copy and original of both parents’ valid Government-issued Photo ID
  • Marriage certificate (copy and original), if applicable
  • Proof of divorce(s) (copy and original), if applicable
  • Prior Report of Birth Abroad for another child from same family (copy and original), if applicable
  • The fee (100 USD or the euro equivalent)
  • If the applicant (even if an infant) does not have a U.S. Social Security Number, please complete and submit this form with the passport application.
  • A self-addressed, prepaid envelope for passport return, with capacity for 500g for each applicant, specifically:

    • A  Collissimo (“pret-a-envoyer”) or Chronopost (“pret-a-expedier”) or envelope good for at least 500 grams per applicant. One applicant can use the 1 kg (the smallest available) envelope and multiple applicants can use the same envelope, as long as you allow for  500g per applicant.  Ex., Two applicants could be returned together in the 1 kg envelope, four applicants in the 2 kg envelope, etc.
    • NOTE: Applicants outside of Metropolitan France and Monaco should use a Chronopost “Monde et Outre-Mer” envelope.
    • Applicants for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad may use the same 500g envelope for both the passport and the CRBA.