Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Paris, France
June 11, 2021
Location: Various locations throughout France:
- Paris : Place de Clichy towards Place de la République
- Strasbourg : Place de la Gare
- Marseille : Vieux Port
- Bordeaux : Place de la République
- Rennes : Esplanade Charles de Gaulle
- Lyon : Metro Charpennes – place Charles Hernu
- Nationwide: In random streets
Event: Numerous cities in France will see potentially violent “March for freedoms and against right-wing ideas” by extreme left-wing groups and supported by the black blocs on Saturday June 12 expected to begin at:
- Paris, Marseille, Rennes: 2:00 p.m.
- Strasbourg: 1:00 p.m.
- Bordeaux: 11:00 a.m.
In addition, “Rebellion in One” is expected to demonstrate nationwide at no set time in which people will sit down in the street, sometimes spontaneously, alone or in groups, and blocking traffic until deciding or being forced to move.
On Sunday, a potentially violent demonstration in Lyon beginning at 3:00. Antifa Lyon is demonstrating for an autonomous and revolutionary parade.
Additional demonstrations in other major cities in France may also be planned.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language French media at the following:
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
France Country Specific Information
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates