Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Paris, France
May 28, 2021
- Paris, Place de la République
- Lyon, Place de la Croix to Vieux Lyon, including bar La Traboule and boxing club l’Agogé (Saturday) and Place Bellecour (Sunday)
- Paris: Multiple protests converging on Saturday beginning at noon. Demonstrators are expected on a variety of topics, including Gillet Jaunes, the 150th anniversary of La Commune, against child abuse, and for legalization of cannabis. U.S. government employees have been advised to avoid the area on Saturday.
- Lyon (Saturday): A “March against extreme violence and in support of the Plume Noire” is expected to take place on Saturday beginning at 3:00 p.m. Due to a risk of riots, U.S. government employees have been told to avoid the area.
- Lyon (Sunday): A demonstration by far-right group Action française is expected to take place on Sunday at beginning at 11:00 a.m. Opposing blackbloc groups may be present. U.S. government employees have been advised to avoid the area due to a risk of violent confrontation between the two groups.
- Additional demonstrations in other major cities in France are also be planned on both Saturday and Sunday throughout France.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language French media at the following:
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
France Country Specific Information
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates