Location: Paris and major cities throughout France such as Bordeaux, Lyon, Marseille, Nice, Toulouse, and Avignon.
Gathering points and routes in Paris include, but are not limited to, the following locations and surrounding areas: Champs-Elysées, Place de la Concorde, Place de la Madeleine, Place de la Bastille, Place de la République, Assemblée Nationale, Porte Maillot affecting traffic on the Périphérique (ring road around Paris), the Champs de Mars near the Eiffel Tower, and Porte de Versailles (1st, 4th, 7th, 8th, 15th, 16th, and 17th arrondissements). Similar central locations in cities throughout France could also be settings for protests and police response.
Event: Demonstrations by the “Gilets Jaunes” (yellow vests) are expected again on December 15, 2018 and may continue through the coming weeks. The group is protesting fuel prices and taxes, and other government policies. Previous demonstrations have become violent with police response including water cannons and/or tear gas. In addition to the demonstrations in major cities, organizers continue to call for traffic interruptions and blockades throughout France.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile and avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Monitor local media
- Exercise caution and shelter in place if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Close windows and shutters to avoid possible smoke and tear gas
- Move your vehicle away from areas where demonstrations are expected
- Consider relocating in advance to another area
- Maintain easy access to passports and other documents, prescription medicine, infant formula, and chargers for electronics
- Notify friends and family of your safety
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language French media at the following:
- https://www.ratp.fr/travaux-manifestations/manifestations (for information on Metro closures)
- U.S. Embassy Paris, France
+33 (1) 43 12 22 22
- U.S. Consulate General Marseille, France
+33 (1) 43 12 22 22
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- France Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.