Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Paris, France
(April 15, 2022)
Location: Multiple locations around France
– Paris: Place de la Nation
– Bordeaux : Place de la Bourse
– Rennes : Place de la République
– Lyon : Place Bellecour
– Lyon : Place Jean Macé
– Marseille : Vieux Port
– Nationwide near universities and high schools
– Paris : Parc des Princes
Multiple events on Saturday, April 16:
– Marches Against Fascism and Racism are expected to take place in numerous cities around France, some with a potential for violent or disruptive clashes. These include:
– Paris, Place de la Nation, 2:00 p.m.
– Bordeaux, Place de la Bourse, 2:30 p.m.
– Rennes, Place de la République, 3:00 p.m.
· Additional demonstrations with the potential for violent or disruptive clashes are expected in:
– Lyon, Place Bellecour, 2:00 p.m.
– Lyon, Place Jean Macé, 2:00 p.m.
– Marseille, Vieux Port, 2:00 p.m.
– Nationwide, university and high school students have called for demonstrations against extreme right-wing groups on Saturday April 16, some of which may experience violence on their margins.
U.S. government employees have been advised to avoid the above locations and any student demonstrations that develop. Additional demonstrations in these and other major cities in France may also be planned.
One event on Sunday, April 17:
– U.S. government employees have been advised of a risk of clashes between supporters of the Paris St. Germain and Olympique de Marseille soccer teams before and after the scheduled 8:45 p.m. match at the Parc des Princes in Paris
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language French media at the following: