The Embassy has learned of an additional location of concern, and is issuing this updated Security Notice:
- Lyon, Place Sathonay (1st district)
- Bordeaux, downtown and Meriadeck District
Event: Disruptive and potentially violent demonstrations against the health pass are expected to take place on Saturday, August 28, at:
- Lyon at 2:00 p.m.. Embassy staff have been directed to avoid Place Sathonay.
- Bordeaux has closed the downtown area to protests all day on Saturday. Embassy staff have been directed to avoid this area and the adjacent Meriadeck District.
Multiple other demonstrations against the health pass are again expected throughout France on Saturday. No violence is currently expected, although recent weeks have shown that violence can occur even if not expected.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Notify friends and family of your safety
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language French media at the following:
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates