Location: Multiple events:
- Paris, Place de la Republique towards Place du Châtelet
- Saulieu, Côte-d’Or (Bourgogne), Espace Jean Bertin-Forail
- Paris to the Belgian border
- Paris: Demonstration expected to take place on February 12, beginning at 2:00 p.m. by the group Justice pour Adama. Prior protests within this movement have been followed by clashes with police. U.S. government employees have been told to avoid the Place du Châtelet Saturday afternoon.
- Saulieu: Political rally expected to take place on February 12, beginning at 3:00 p.m. Authorities have noted a potential risk of clashes between opposing political groups. U.S. government employees have been told to avoid this area.
- Paris to Belgium: Criminal groups have been known to take advantage of stopped traffic on the A1 highway to perform “smash and grab” robberies, particularly between Paris and CDG airport. As noted in yesterday’s Demonstration Alert, the Convoi de la Liberté is expected to cause heavy, slow traffic on Sunday and Monday on the A1 and A4. See yesterday’s Demonstration Alert and local media for more details on the convoy and related traffic issues headed towards Paris, around Paris, and between Paris and the Belgian border.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language French media at the following:
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.