UPDATE: TRANSPORTATION STRIKE ONGOING (AS OF JANUARY 6, 2020)
Location: France, nationwide
Event: A general strike in France affecting transportation and other public service sectors remains ongoing . There are significant disruptions to rail, air, and local transportation services.
In conjunction with the strike, various labor unions are conducting large demonstrations in major cities. The “Gilets Jaunes” (Yellow Vests) have joined these marches. Please review the Travel Advisory for France – Exercise Increased Caution for additional safety and security information. While the demonstrations may not be directed at the U.S. Embassy, access to the streets surrounding the Embassy may be blocked by police or demonstrators.
Travelers should check the status of flights directly with their airline and make sure to allow additional time to get to the airport. For information on train and Paris Metro and bus disruptions, please see the links below:
SNCF Trains: https://en.oui.sncf/train/greve
Paris Metro and Buses: https://www.ratp.fr/en
Actions to Take:
- Review travel plans for January 6-10.
- Prepare for alternate lodging or transportation in the event your itinerary is interrupted
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Notify friends and family of your safety
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
4, avenue Gabriel
75382 Paris Cedex 08