Welcome to the webpages of the American Presence Post (APP) Lyon. Our Presence Post permits building greater understanding and friendship between the people of the United States and the people of Rhone-Alpes, Auvergne, and Burgundy, about 25 percent of the geographical area of France.
The three missions of APP Lyon are:
In addition to the provision of consular information and emergency consular services for American citizens, the U.S. Consulate (American Presence Post) in Lyon has three missions:
- Commercial and Economic – Lyon is the capital of Rhone-Alpes, France’s leading industrial and manufacturing region. The U.S. is by far the leading foreign commercial presence in the region, with over 800 businesses. Throughout our consular district, the team of the Consulate meet with business groups and political and economic leaders to promote U.S. exports in support of the National Export Initiative. The other major commercial priority is facilitating French investment in the U.S. in support of the Department of Commerce’s SelectUSA program. The Consulate also helps coordinate U.S. representation at major trade shows throughout the consular district.
- Green and Innovation – Lyon and Grenoble are two of Europe’s leading centers for biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, health, renewable energy, nanotechnology, and many other forms of scientific research and development. In an effort to highlight the importance the U.S. places on innovation and new technology, the Consulate builds links between scientific centers, the private sector and higher education, replicating the “Silicon Valley Model.” Through an innovative partnership with Chevrolet, the Consulate led Mission France in becoming the first diplomatic mission in the world to integrate new technology electric vehicles into its official fleet, in the form of the Chevrolet Volt, 2012’s European Car of the Year. The Consulate also created a perennial Green Design Prize with the Lyon and Grenoble schools of architecture, to drive creative response to real-life urban development challenges. Another example of this work is the Young Innovators Prize for Secondary School Scientific Research, launched in 2012, in which high-school students develop projects similar to those in the Intel competition in the U.S. The winners travel to Silicon Valley, courtesy of Xerox, one of many high-tech U.S. firms based in the Grenoble area.
- Public Diplomacy – The Consulate has an important role in outreach to explain American policy, society and culture. The Consul and staff make and arrange for frequent speaking appearances throughout the consular district to explain issues of interest and explain American government, society, history, values, and economy. The Consulate administers the full range of State Department exchange programs, such as the Fulbright, International Visitor Leadership Program and Youth Ambassadors Program. One of the key elements of the Consulate’s public diplomacy outreach is the promotion of higher education opportunities in the U.S. To facilitate this effort, the Consulate launched two new permanent spaces in 2012, by creating the local coalition of partners to sustain them – the American Corner in Grenoble, and America House Lyon.
Industries particularly strong in the Lyon consular district are:
- Chemicals and pharmaceuticals
- Medical instruments
- Electronic components and information technology
- Mechanical construction
- Agriculture, food processing and wine