An official website of the United States government

Comment renouveler son passeport d'urgence

If you were issued an emergency, limited-validity passport at an Embassy or Consulate because you had urgent need of travel, you should apply to renew this passport for a full-validity passport as soon as possible. All applicants, even children, may apply by mail as long as the emergency passport is still valid.

Please Note: If your emergency passport was issued more than one year ago, you must follow the instructions for normal passport renewal, which may require you to appear in person (depending on your age) and will require you to pay renewal fees. See our page for Passport Services for more information.

Follow the step-by-step instructions to renew a limited, temporary passport issued less than one year ago:

STEP 1: Submit your emergency passport:

  • You must submit your emergency passport. This passport will be canceled and returned to you with your new passport.

STEP 2: Passport application form DS-5504:

  • Parents should sign for children under age 16. Please disregard the instructions printed on pages 1-4 since that information pertains to passport renewal when residing in the U.S. The DS-5504 form must be printed on individual pages; double-sided applications are not accepted.
  • Download form DS-5504  (PDF – 76KB) from the State Department Website.

Please note that according to U.S. law (26 USC 6039E) applicants for U.S. passports must provide a correct Social Security Number on the passport application. Failure to provide a Social Security Number if you have been issued one can result in a $500 fine enforced by the IRS. If you have never been issued a Social Security Number, write zeros in the boxes. The U.S. Embassy in Paris does not have access to Social Security Administration records.

STEP 3: Proof of Citizenship and/or Identity

If the endorsement on the last page of your emergency passport states that your passport was issued under 22 CFR 51.41, you must also submit proof of citizenship in the form of one of the following:

  • a U.S. birth certificate; or
  • a U.S. naturalization certificate; or
  • a U.S. certificate of citizenship; or
  • a U.S. consular report of birth abroad; or
  • an expired full validity, U.S. passport.

If the endorsement on the last page of your emergency passport states that your passport was issued under 22 CFR 51.28, you must also submit proof of identity in the form of one of the following:

  • a valid passport of any country; or
  • a valid driver’s license with photograph; or
  • a national identity card with photograph; or
  • a valid U.S. or state government ID card; or
  • a valid U.S. military ID card.

STEP 4: Photographs 

STEP 5: Postage

  • self-addressed, prepaid envelope for passport return, with capacity for 500g for each applicant, specifically:
  • A  Collissimo (“pret-a-envoyer”) or Chronopost (“pret-a-expedier”). One applicant can use the 1 kg (the smallest available) envelope and multiple applicants can use the same envelope, as long as you allow for  500g per applicant.  Ex., Two applicants could be returned together in the 1 kg envelope, four applicants in the 2 kg envelope, etc.
  • NOTE: Applicants outside of Metropolitan France and Monaco should use a Chronopost “Monde et Outre-Mer” envelope.
  • Applicants for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad may use the same 500g envelope for both the passport and the CRBA.

STEP 6: Send your Application

Please send your passport application, your valid temporary passport, self-addressed prepaid envelope, photos, and additional proof of ID and citizenship (if applicable) to the following address:

US Embassy, Attn: Passport Unit
4 Avenue Gabriel 75008 Paris

Failure to submit a complete and correct application will delay your case.

Processing Time

Upon receiving a complete application the processing time for a passport is 5-7 weeks.

Entering the U.S.

According to Section 215 of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185), it is illegal for an American citizen to enter or leave the U.S. on anything other than an American passport. This applies to dual citizens as well, meaning that persons holding e.g. both French and American citizenship and passports must enter and leave the U.S. on a U.S. passport. They may not enter/leave the U.S. on a foreign passport. This applies to children as well as adults.

Renew a Temporary Passport in the United States
To renew a temporary passport in the United States, please follow the instructions on travel.state.gov .

the U.S. on a foreign passport. This applies to children as well as adults.