April 1, 2020
U.S. Embassy Paris, France
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Paris will be sending a daily update to ensure that all U.S. citizens in France have the latest information on COVID-19, and local security conditions in France.
France has confirmed cases of COVID-19 throughout the country. U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return home or be prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. All U.S. citizens in France must follow the Government of France confinement order in place since March 17, 2020.
The following information has been updated on the Embassy Paris COVID-19 website:
- U.S. citizens who entered France on 90-day visa-free Schengen travel and are unable to return to the United States by the end of their authorized length of stay due to the COVID-19 outbreak should reference the Prefecture de Police website (look for the English prompt) on conditions to request an extension. This website also includes information on extensions of certain French visas or residence permits due to COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on the disease.
- Dial 15 for emergency services in France if you have severe symptoms such as difficulty breathing. Do not go directly to an emergency department, doctor’s office, or clinic.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in France.
- For information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
- Have a plan to depart from France that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions affecting travel to the U.S.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates