U.S. Embassy, Paris
Nationwide Demonstrations and Strikes by Major Transportation Unions in France:
Air France, French National Railway Networks and Civil Service Employees
April 4, 2018
Transportation unions in France have called for nationwide strikes and demonstrations which are affecting the nation’s railway system and local transport lines, including the métro and bus system in Paris and other major cities in France. Strikes by Air France employees and demonstrations by civil service government employees may also occur. Rolling two-day strikes of the national rail system are planned from April to June if a labor agreement between the unions and French government is not reached.
In the event of demonstrations, current information will be posted on the U.S. Embassy’s Alerts and Messages website pages.
We encourage you to:
- Monitor local media for updates
- Make contingency travel plans if necessary
- Avoid demonstrations
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Notify friends and family of your safety
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language French media at the following:
Transportation Strikes and Slow Downs:
- Timetables & Real-Time Traffic Updates
- How do I know if my train is running?
- Reservations (and information on cancelled trains, or non-availability)
- Disability Access
- Passenger Assistance