An official website of the United States government

Passport Services

To Replace a Lost or Stolen Passport

To replace a lost or stolen passport, please follow the below instructions.

Important Notice: You must have an appointment for this service. Follow the instructions below and click on the link taking you to our online calendar where you can choose a date and time slot of your choice.

Step 1: Complete online and print forms: Form DS-11 and Form DS-64 (If your passport was lost or stolen – this form will automatically be generated if completing the online Form DS-11. Submitting this form will permanently declare your passport as lost/stolen.).  Do not sign the DS-11 form.

If your current passport has less than 6 months validity, you only need to complete Form DS-82.

If you have never had a U.S. Social Security Number, fill out and submit this form.

If you do not remember your U.S. Social Security Number, please email the Federal Benefits Unit before applying for the passport.

Tip: Forms may be completed, and photos taken onsite at the embassy.

Tip: If you have had an identity document lost or stolen, go to the Dept. Of Justice’s suggestions  for suggestions on protecting yourself from identity theft

Step 2: One color 2×2 inch photo. The Embassy will reject any photographs that do not meet the specified requirements .

Step 3: Evidence of U.S. citizenship – such evidence may include but is not limited to:

  • U.S. Birth Certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Expired U.S. Passport
  • U.S. Passport Card

Step 4: Valid Identification document for the applicant and one copy.  For minors under 16: Both parents and the child must be present. Both parents must consent to passport renewal.  More information if only one parent can come.

  • For applicants under 16, both parents must attend with the child and present evidence of parentage (such as child’s birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad, listing parents’ names) and government-issued photo identification
  • Applicants aged 16-17 should be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.  The accompanying adult must present government issued photo identification

Step 5: self-addressed, prepaid envelope for passport return, with capacity for 500g for each applicant, specifically:

      • A  Colissimo (“pret-a-envoyer”) or Chronopost (“pret-a-expedier”). One applicant can use the 1 kg (the smallest available) envelope and multiple applicants can use the same envelope, as long as you allow for  500g per applicant.  Ex., Two applicants could be returned together in the 1 kg envelope, four applicants in the 2 kg envelope, etc.
      • NOTE: Applicants outside of Metropolitan France and Monaco should use a Chronopost “Monde et Outre-Mer” envelope.

Step 6: Payment for the passport application is made at the Embassy on the day of the interview. Pay the fee of 135 USD for children or 165 USD for adults (or the Euro equivalent) at the time of your interview, in cash or by credit card (the credit card holder must be present with a valid Government photo ID).

Step 7: Read the security information to access the embassy or consulate (list of prohibited items).

Are all your forms of payment stolen?  Here is a tip that may help: anyone can offer you financial assistance, please bring him/her along to pay. Otherwise, we will assist you to contact your family or friends in the United States for financial assistance.

If you bring all of the required documents above to your interview, the standard processing time is 4-6 weeks.


Set Up An Appointment

If there are no appointments available when your first check the booking system, please keep checking.  New appointments are regularly added, including appointments available after daily cancellations.  These appointments can only be booked through the online calendar, not by email or telephone.


Processing Time for Regular and Emergency Passports

Upon receiving a complete application the processing time for a regular passport is 4-6 weeks. See information on emergency passports if you are traveling within the next 7 days.


According to Section 215 of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185), it is illegal for an American citizen to enter or leave the U.S. on anything other than an American passport.

This applies to dual citizens as well, meaning that persons holding e.g. both French and American citizenship and passports must enter and leave the U.S. on a U.S. passport. They may not enter/leave the U.S. on a foreign passport. This applies to children as well as adults.

Quick checklist

  • Complete Form DS-11 and Form DS-64   (If passport has less than 6 months validity, only Form DS-82)
  • One color 2×2’’ photo.
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship
  • Valid ID + one copy.
  • A self-addressed, prepaid envelope
  • Schedule an appointment
  • Payment at the Embassy: 135 USD for children or 165 USD for adults in cash or by credit card
  • List of prohibited items to enter our building.