Applying for a Second U.S. Passport
If you have a valid U.S. passport and you meet several additional requirements, you may be eligible to apply for a second U.S. passport book. In limited circumstances, we issue a limited-validity, second passport book which will be valid for up to four years. See complete information on second passports here.
You must apply in person for your second passport. For an appointment in Paris, go here. For Marseille, go here. For an appointment in Strasbourg, call 01 43 12 47 11 or email: USAStrasbourg@state.gov.
What to bring to your appointment:
- Completed and signed Form DS-82.
- Note: you cannot list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States.
- If you have never had a U.S. Social Security number, please complete and submit this form.
- If you do not remember your U.S. Social Security Number, please email the Federal Benefits Unit before applying for the passport. If you are renewing your second passport, please enter this passport number.
- Your most recent first or second passport
- Complete, sign and date this statement (PDF – 176K) giving the reason(s) why the second passport is required.
- One color 2×2 inch photo. Click here for photo requirements.
A self-addressed, prepaid envelope for passport return, with capacity for 500g for each applicant, specifically:
- A Collissimo (“pret-a-envoyer”) or Chronopost (“pret-a-expedier”). One applicant can use the 1 kg (the smallest available) envelope and multiple applicants can use the same envelope, as long as you allow for 500g per applicant. Ex., Two applicants could be returned together in the 1 kg envelope, four applicants in the 2 kg envelope, etc.
- NOTE: Applicants outside of Metropolitan France and Monaco should use a Chronopost “Monde et Outre-Mer” envelope.
- Applicants for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad may use the same 500g envelope for both the passport and the CRBA.
You can pay the fee of 110 USD (or the Euro equivalent) at the time of your interview in cash or by credit card (the credit card holder must be present).
The processing time is approximately two to three weeks.