The French government has reported a significant surge in antisemitic acts in France since the October 7 Hamas attacks in Israel and the ensuing Israeli military action in Gaza.
On October 13, the French government raised its Vigipirate security alert system to its highest level, deploying additional law enforcement resources throughout France, including at Jewish schools and synagogues.
We remind all U.S. citizens to remain vigilant of their surroundings and to visit travel.state.gov and our website for additional information.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations and areas with significant police activity.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language French media at the following:
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates