Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Paris, France
December 12, 2018
Location: Strasbourg, France
Event: Police operations to locate the subject responsible for the December 11, 2018 attack in Strasbourg continue. Movement within some areas of the city may remain restricted. As a result of this attack, France has raised its terror alert level, sending additional security personnel to Strasbourg and enforcing border controls. Increased security at public holiday events and venues, with ID checks and personal/bag searches, should be expected.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid affected areas.
· Follow instructions of authorities.
· Exercise additional vigilance at holiday festivals and events, places of worship, and locations with large crowds.
· Review your personal security plans.
· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Notify friends and family of your safety.
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language French media at the following:
+33 (1) 43 12 22 22
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates