Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Paris, France
March 21, 2019
Location: France, countrywide.
Event: Weekend demonstrations by the “Gilets Jaunes” (Yellow Vests) are expected to continue March 23-24, and could turn violent. The U.S. Embassy is advising official U.S. government travelers to avoid travel to Paris and other major cities in France over the weekend.
During previous demonstrations, damage to property, including looting and arson, in populated tourist areas has occurred with reckless disregard for public safety. Police response has included water cannons, rubber bullets, and tear gas.
In addition to the demonstrations in major cities, travelers should expect traffic interruptions and blockades throughout France. At highway toll stations, protesters have previously set up barricades and set fire to pallets.
Please see the U.S. Embassy France website for additional security and travel information.
Actions to Take:
- Review your travel plans for March 23-24
- Exercise extreme caution
- Keep a low profile and avoid areas of the demonstrations
- Shelter in place if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Close windows and shutters to avoid possible smoke and tear gas exposure
- Consider relocating in advance to another area
- Do not try to force your way through a barricade with your vehicle
- Ensure you have access to your passport and other documents, prescription medicine, infant formula, and your phone and charger
- Notify friends and family of your safety and travel plans
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language French media at the following sites:
- https://www.ratp.fr/travaux-manifestations/manifestations (for information on Metro closures)
- https://www.prefecturedepolice.interieur.gouv.fr/Nous-connaitre/Documentation/Salle-de-presse/Communiques-de-presse/Circulation (for updated information on traffic and pedestrian restrictions in Paris)
U.S. Embassy Paris, France
+33 (1) 43 12 22 22
+33 (1) 43 12 22 22
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates