An official website of the United States government

Transmission of U.S. Citizenship
Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

Transmission of U.S. Citizenship

Transmission of U.S. citizenship to children born outside the U.S. requires:

1.    At least one parent having the nationality of the United States at the time of the child’s birth;

2.    The existence of a blood relationship between the child and U.S. citizen parent(s);

3.    Documentary evidence demonstrating the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ physical presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth.

Examples of Documentation to Meet Physical Presence Requirements (for the interview, bring all those examples you have available in order to provide conclusive proof of physical presence):

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Rental leases
  • Official academic transcripts
  • Professional licenses
  • Vaccination or other medical records
  • Property tax records
  • Utility bills
  • Employment records
  • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.
  • Birth certificates for other U.S.-born children
  • If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence.
  • *U.S. military service records, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated) – may count towards U.S. physical presence even if employed outside the United States