An official website of the United States government

Do this First: Replacing Credit Cards and Your Passport

  1. Take care of the credit cards first (see below for telephone numbers). Experienced thieves can run up huge bills in very little time. Your debit cards are in greater danger than the credit cards, they come with less protection against theft. Call all banks with a debit card, then all credit card companies.
  2. Replace your Lost of Stolen Passport as soon as possible:
    Go to the U.S. Embassy website https://fr.usembassy.gov/passports/. The U.S. Embassy in Paris accepts applications for emergency passports on a walk-in basis from 8:00 a.m. to 11 a.m.. Monday to Friday, except on U.S. and French holidays. Please don’t bring your luggage or electronic equipment. Cell phones and small cameras may be held by the security services until you leave the building. Write to PassportsParis@state.gov. If necessary, reschedule your airline reservation. You should make the reservation for the day after you make your passport application since it may take several hours to process your passport.
  • All thefts and major losses should be reported to the police as soon as possible. Each of Paris’ twenty arrondissements (districts) has a central commissariat and several smaller units, often at train stations. Reports should be made at the nearest police station, not necessarily in the district where the theft occurred. Once a person has left France s/he may NOT obtain a police report.
  • The police will issue a Récépissé de Déclaration de Perte ou de Vol (receipt for declaration of loss or theft). French police will issue a separate receipt for theft of a passport, identification documents, and other papers, as well as personal effects. It is not necessary to have a receipt for a lost/stolen passport in order to apply for a replacement at the U.S. Embassy or Consulates, although it may be helpful for insurance purposes.
  • The report MUST be made in person. The police will not accept a report by telephone or from someone else on behalf of the victim. Most police stations have English-speaking personnel; if difficulties occur, an email may be sent to the Embassy’s American Citizen Services Unit at citizeninfo@state.gov for assistance.
    The police receipt is helpful and sometimes necessary in applying for the replacement of airline tickets and for supporting insurance claims.
  • Western Union: Financial Assistance: If you need financial assistance persons may send you funds via Western Union (www.westernunion.com). U.S. Toll Free Number 1-800-325-6000.