Can I travel to France with a 12-Page Emergency Passport?
- No. The Government of France does not recognize the 12-page U.S. emergency passport, issued by U.S. embassies and consulates overseas, as a valid travel document for visa-free entry into France. If traveling on this emergency passport, you may be refused boarding and/or entry by immigration officials. Only direct transit through France for a destination in the United States is permitted with an emergency passport. You should check entry requirements of any other country of destination to make sure the emergency passport is accepted for entry.
Do I need a Valid Passport for Travel to France?
- U.S. passports must be valid for at least three months BEYOND your planned date of departure from the Schengen area.
- Immigration officers may also request you show sufficient funds for your intended stay and a return airline ticket.
Do I need a Visa to Travel to France?
- You may enter France for up to 90 days for tourist and business purposes without a visa.
- If you are traveling to France or Monaco for reasons other than business or tourism – such as employment, study, or internship – you must obtain the appropriate French or Monegasque (Monaco) visa for that purpose before you leave the United States.
Can I get a Visa in France? I already have a Visa, can I Exchange or Extend it?
- You should be aware that it is nearly impossible to obtain or change visa status while in France.
- Visit the Embassy of France website for the most current visa and entry requirement information.
Can I travel to other European Countries with or without a French Visa?
- France is a party to the Schengen Agreement. Contact the Embassy of the country you would like to travel to for more information.
French Embassy Contact Information:
- Contact the French Embassy in Washington at 4101 Reservoir Road NW, Washington, DC 20007, tel. (202) 944 6000, or the French Consulate General in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, New York, or San Francisco for the most current visa information.
Information for Minors Transiting France to South Africa:
- If you are transiting through France to South Africa, there are special requirements for minors. See Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements for South Africa for additional information.