Consular Report of Birth Abroad

  1. Adoption
  2. Consular Report of Birth Abroad

As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240 which is a basic United States citizenship document.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

As a CRBA is not a travel document, it is strongly recommended that you submit an application for the child’s U.S. passport and social security number at the same time. All three applications may be submitted together at your scheduled appointment. Even if your child holds another nationality, he or she must enter and exit the United States on a U.S. passport.

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please refer to Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship.

Before you schedule your child’s online appointment at the Embassy in Paris or Consulates in Marseille or Strasbourg, please complete all the required forms. You will need to provide both original documents and copies thereof.  

Important Note: The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Consulate General in Marseille will be closed for all consular services from October 23 through October 27 and on November 2nd and 3rd. 

Please visit this website page for information on transmitting U.S. Citizenship.