Renouncing U.S. citizenship is a serious and irrevocable act which deserves your thoughtful consideration. It is imperative that you fully understand the irrevocable nature of its consequences prior to renouncing your citizenship. Expatriation is a personal right and can never be exercised on someone else’s behalf by another person (including parents and/or legal guardians).
INSTRUCTIONS FOR RENOUNCING UNITED STATES CITIZENSHIP (3 Steps)
- A. ORIGINAL U.S. Birth Certificate (issued by your State of birth) or ORIGINAL Consular Report of Birth Abroad or ORIGINAL Naturalization Certificate
- B. ORIGINAL most recent U.S. Passport
- C. ORIGINAL most recent foreign valid Passport(s) or Government-issued ID Card(s) – If you possess multiple nationalities, bring Passport or Government-issued ID for all nationalities
- D. ORIGINAL proof of any name change (marriage certificate, court order, divorce decree, etc.), if applicable
- E. Completed DS-4080 Oath/Affirmation of Renunciation of Nationality of United States (PDF 32 KB) **Please complete but do NOT sign form DS-4080, you will sign in front of a consular officer**
- F. Completed DS-4081 Statement of Understanding Concerning the Consequences and Ramifications of Relinquishment or Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship (PDF 1.34 MB) **Please complete but do NOT sign form DS-4081, you will sign in front of a consular officer**
- G. Completed Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire
- H. Completed Informal Loss of Citizenship Acknowledgement
**In the body of your email, with the above documents attached, please also include your:
- Last Name
- First Name
- Middle Name(s)
- Any other Names used
- Date and Place of birth (Month/Day/Year + City/State, if applicable/Country)
- Telephone number
2 – Once you have emailed all the documents, please call us at 01 43 12 29 96 between 3- 4PM for your pre-interview. (please check our calendar for U.S./French Holidays).
3 – Please note, if you choose to proceed with renunciation, on the day of the interview you will be required to:
- Pay a non-refundable fee of $2,350 USD or the Euro equivalent (cash or credit cards accepted)
- Bring a pre-paid, self-addressed envelope – Chronopost for France, Collissimo or a Lettre Suivie 500g, size A4.