Loss of U.S. citizenship is a serious and irrevocable act which deserves your thoughtful consideration. It is imperative that you fully understand the nature of its consequences prior to requesting a Certificate of Loss of Nationality. If you decide that this is the course of action you wish to pursue, there are several steps you need to take including arranging an appointment to come into the Embassy to sign the Statement of Understanding, the Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire and/or the Oath of Renunciation, in the presence of a Consular Officer. Please note that the Statement of Understanding clearly states that the action you are taking is irrevocable.
Remember that expatriation is a personal right and can never be exercised by another person (including parents and/or legal guardians).
Before beginning this process, please become familiar with legal requirements and possible expatriating acts . You will discuss your possible loss of citizenship with a consular officer over the phone prior to your final interview. For questions related to expatriation tax and possible tax implications, please consult with the Internal Revenue Service.
1.Collect and complete the following documents to submit by email:
Evidence of U.S. Citizenship and Name Change if Applicable
a. All Evidence of U.S. citizenship (copies and originals); such as your most recent U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, bio-pages of all current passports…)
b. Evidence of any name change (copy and originals, if applicable(for example marriage or divorce certificates, court orders or deed polls);
Renunciation Forms: PLEASE DO NOT SIGN THEM
Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire and Acknowledgement
2. Please submit your completed, scanned documents and the following information by email to either the:
U.S. Embassy in Paris at: firstname.lastname@example.org
the U.S. Consulate General in Marseille at: CitizeninfoMarseille@state.gov
* Last Name
* First Name
* Middle Name(s)
* Other Names used
* Date and Place of birth ( Month/Day/Year + City /State if applicable/Country)
* Telephone number
Please note that this information is required to contact you for the pre-interview and to set a date for your appointment.
3. Once we have received your scanned documents you will be contacted for an initial phone consultation
4. You will be scheduled for an in-person interview following the phone consultation.
5. On the day of the interview:
- You will be required to pay a non-refundable fee of $2,350 or equivalent in Euros (€ 2,115 )
- You will be asked to bring a Chronopost envelope France Metropolitaine for the return of your Certificate of Loss of Citizenship.