Due to COVID-19, renunciation services have been suspended world-wide until further notice. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Renouncing U.S. citizenship is a serious and irrevocable act which deserves your thoughtful consideration. It is imperative that you fully understand the irrevocable nature of its consequences prior to renouncing your citizenship. Expatriation is a personal right and can never be exercised on someone else’s behalf by another person (including parents and/or legal guardians).
The information below provides instructions for relinquishing U.S. citizenship by taking an oath of renunciation under INA 349(a)(5). For information on relinquishment by voluntary commission of different potentially expatriating acts under INA 349(a)(1)-(4) with intent to lose U.S. nationality, please read https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality.html and/or send an inquiry to email@example.com (for response from Paris) or firstname.lastname@example.org (for response from Marseille).
- A. ORIGINAL U.S. Birth Certificate (issued by your State of birth) or ORIGINAL Consular Report of Birth Abroad or ORIGINAL Naturalization Certificate
- B. ORIGINAL most recent U.S. Passport
- C. ORIGINAL most recent foreign valid Passport(s) or Government-issued ID Card(s) – If you possess multiple nationalities, bring Passport or Government-issued ID for all nationalities
- D. ORIGINAL proof of any name change (marriage certificate, court order, divorce decree, etc.), if applicable
- E. Completed DS-4080 Oath/Affirmation of Renunciation of Nationality of United States (PDF 32 KB) **Please complete but do NOT sign form DS-4080, you will sign in front of a consular officer**
- F. Completed DS-4081 Statement of Understanding Concerning the Consequences and Ramifications of Relinquishment or Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship (PDF 1.34 MB) **Please complete but do NOT sign form DS-4081, you will sign in front of a consular officer**
- G. Completed Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire
**In the body of your email, with the above documents attached, please also include your:
- Last Name
- First Name
- Middle Name(s)
- Any other Names used
- Date and Place of birth (Month/Day/Year + City/State, if applicable/Country)
- Telephone number
Please note, if you choose to proceed with renunciation, on the day of the interview you will be required to:
- Pay a non-refundable fee of $2,350 USD or the Euro equivalent (cash or credit cards accepted)
- Bring a pre-paid, self-addressed envelope – Chronopost for France, Collissimo or a Lettre Suivie 500g, size A4.