Report Birth Abroad, First Passport, and U.S. Social Security Card

U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met. For information on these requirements click here.

By law, the CRBA application must be made prior to the child’s 18th birthday.

It is the only citizenship document that includes the relationship between the child and the parent(s).

A CRBA, like a U.S. Birth Certificate, cannot be used for international travel. We recommend that you apply for your child’s U.S. passport and social security number at the same time you apply for a CRBA.  All three applications may be submitted together at your scheduled appointment. 

Even if your child holds another nationality, he or she must enter and exit the United States on a U.S. passport and may not travel to the U.S. using the ESTA program or using any foreign passport.

CLICK HERE TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT to report the birth abroad of a child of a U.S. citizen and/or apply for the child’s first passport, and Social Security number

Report of Birth Abroad  Application U.S. Passport Application     U.S. Social Security Card Application
  • Completed, printed Form DS-2029  (downloadable online)
  • Child’s original French birth certificate (copie integrale)
  • One copy and original of both parents’ valid Government Photo ID
  • Marriage certificate (copy and original)
  • Proof of divorce(s) (copy and original), if applicable
  • Prior Report of Birth Abroad (copy and original) for another child in same family, if applicable
  • Documentation proving  Transmission of U.S. Citizenship by parent(s) (originals and one copy)
  • Self-addressed, pre-paid envelope, Chronopost for France, or Collissimo, or a Lettre suivie 500g size A4 only.
  • **Fee is $100 or the euro equivalent**


Please follow the instructions and links provided here.
  • Please complete the Social Security Form SS-5 form;
  • If the applicant (even if an infant) has never had a U.S. Social Security number, complete and submit this form with the passport application.
  • Submit the child’s French birth certificate (copie integrale);
  • Submit a copy of the American parent or parents’ passport(s).