Reporting Birth Abroad: Checklist and Appointment
When you schedule your child’s online appointment (below) please make sure you have prepared ALL the required CRBA documentation, your child’s first passport application and U.S. social security application for your interview with the consul. See checklist below.
Incomplete files may result in cancellation of your appointment, or significant delays in processing your child’s file.
Parents must have all of the following (forms must be completed online and remain unsigned):
- Form DS-2029* — Consular Report of Birth Abroad;
- Form DS-11*— First Passport Application;
- Form SS-5 — new U.S. Social Security Number;
- Your child’s original French or foreign birth certificate (copie integrale) attached to the DS-2029, and two photocopies: one attached to the DS-11 and one to the SS-5;
- U.S. parent(s)’ American passport(s) and three photocopies: one attached to the DS-2029, one attached to the DS-11 and one attached to the SS-5
- Government-issued ID of the non-U.S. citizen parent, if applicable. The current passport is the preferred form of proof. Original document and two photocopies: one attached to the DS-2029 and one attached to the DS-11
- Proof of marital status, if applicable: with one copy of proof attached to the DS-2029
- Evidence of U.S. parent’s physical presence in the U.S.;
- If applicable, the original parental consent form DS-3053 from the non-appearing parent;
- One U.S. size passport photo with white background;
- Payment for the child’s U.S. passport ($105) and the Consular Report of Birth Abroad ($100) in U.S. dollars or euros. We accept major credit cards or cash. We do not accept personal checks. (See fees and payment methods);
- Return envelope requirements, please provide ONE of the following: a self-addressed Colissimo pret-a-envoyer 1kg, or a self-addressed Chronopost envelope (PDF- 222 KB) for France métropolitaine for the return of passports. Please keep top copy of delivery information with bar code and tracking number for your records (one envelope can contain up to 6 passports).
- Reports of Birth Abroad for previous children, if applicable;
- Appointment: Schedule one online appointment for your child and parents.
- Paris: Online appointment.
* Please note: We require that all applications must be completed online and printed from a laser printer on one-sided pages only. If you choose to submit a hand-written application or print the application on a non-laser printer, this could cause delays in processing your application.