Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Off-Site Consular Services Day in Lyon 

The U.S. Embassy in Paris, in collaboration with the American Presence Posts, is pleased to announce the provision of off-site consular services in Lyon. Applicants for first passports, passport renewals, reports of birth, and (notarial services) must schedule an appointment by writing to the appropriate email address provided on this website pageAppointments are limited and will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis.

Select Your Passport Service Location:

As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240 which is a basic United States citizenship document.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please refer to Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship. Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in posession of a valid U.S passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country, as well.

If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born out of the United States, you will need to document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad:

Before you schedule your child’s online appointment at the Embassy (see checklist below), please complete all the required forms. You will need to provide both original documents and copies thereof.

We require that all passport applications and DS-2029 application be completed online and printed from a laser printer on one-sided pages only.  If you choose to submit a hand-written application or print the application on a non-laser printer, this could cause delays in processing your application

Please visit this website page for detailed instructions to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for your child.