Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information
U.S. Department of State’s Role
Officers of the Department of State and U.S. embassies and consulates overseas are prohibited by federal regulation from acting as agents, attorneys or in a fiduciary capacity on behalf of U.S. citizens involved in legal disputes overseas. Department of State personnel, including its attorneys, do not provide legal advice to the public. For more information please see the Department of States’ website page on retaining a foreign attorney.
- Apostille for Documents Issued in the United States
- Apostille for Documents Issued in France
- Attorneys (English-speaking)
- Diplomas Transcripts, Certified Copies etc.
- Divorce Abroad (Department of State Information)
- FBI Identity History Summary Check (FBI Report)
- French Notaires (English-Speaking) for assistance with estates, wills, inheritance, property in France
- Marriage and Civil Partnerships (PACs)
- Medallion Signature Guarantees
- Notarial Services (Legalization of documents for use in France or the U.S.)
Legal Assistance Additional Resources
- Department of State Judicial Assistance Country Information
- Service of Legal Documents in France
- Department of State Information on Service of Legal Documents
- Court Reporters
For the most up-to-date and complete information please see the State Department’s judicial assistance web page.