Consular Officers provide notary services similar to the functions of a notary public in the United States. This service is available to U.S. citizens as well as non-U.S. citizens if the document will be used in the United States.
Please note that Consular Officers are not French Notaires – we can only certify the validity of a signature. We do not draft contracts or provide legal advice.
Determine if we are able to notarize your document.
Prepare your document and organize everything you need.
Schedule an appointment:
- Click here to schedule in Paris
- Click here to schedule in Marseille
- To make or reschedule a notary services appointment with the Consulate General in Strasbourg, please send us an email or call 01.43.12.47.11 or 03.88.35.86.15.
- You will be provided a password for your appointment, which you can use to cancel or reschedule.
- You do not need to provide names of witnesses when making your appointment.
- Appointments can take 90 minutes.
- One appointment per family.
- The American Presence Posts in Bordeaux, Lyon, and Rennes do not provide notary services.
Questions? Please email PassportsParis@state.gov.
Getting married? Need a driver’s license? Consult our Additional Resources for American Citizens page for guidance on various life events while living in France.