Documents We Notarize

STEP ONE: Determine if we are able to notarize your document.

If you see your document below, gather everything you need and then make an appointment.

Don’t see what you are looking for below? Click here for resources on how to obtain notarizations and other commonly requested services provided by other organizations.

We perform the same signature verification service as a U.S. notary public. Common documents include:

  • Real estate documents – purchase or rental agreements, closings, financings, deeds, titles, guarantees, etc.
  • Estate documents – wills, trusts, healthcare proxies, estate settlements, etc.
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Litigation documents – affidavits, settlements, notice of service of process, etc.
  • Pre-Nuptial or Divorce documents
  • Banking documents – account openings, closures, liquidations, or transfers, lost property affidavits, etc.
  • Employee benefits or retirement documents – account openings, closures, liquidations or transfers, beneficiary designations, beneficiary/spousal consents or waivers, etc.
  • Business documents – contracts, bills of sale, formation documents, merger or acquisition agreements, etc.
  • Applications, forms, or letters for governments or professional associations.

To meet the requirements of the French government, U.S. citizens may sign an Attestation tenant lieu de certificat de coutume et de célibat  (PDF-388 KB) attesting that they are free to marry or enter a PACS.

This form does not require notarization by the U.S. Embassy.   If you wish to have your signature legalized you may do so at the local city hall – mairie –  with a valid U.S. passport.  You may also show this letter (PDF-551 KB)  explaining this matter.

If the mairie insists that the document must be notarized by the Embassy, you may make an appointment for a notary service at the U.S. Embassy in Paris or the U.S. Consulate General in Marseille or Strasbourg.  The consular fee is $50 per seal. Information on scheduling an appointment in Paris, Marseille or Strasbourg is available on the top of this page.

Go to this website page for information and guidelines on marriage and PACs in France.

You may also visit Department of State website for information marriage aboard.

Go to this page to read this information in French.

The U.S. government does not issue certificates of concordance / coutumes (these are French documents).  We recommend you an attorney or a notaire.  A list of English-speaking attorneys practicing in France, who might be able to assist you in resolving this matter can be found in the Embassy’s webpage:   However, the US Embassy can notarize a sworn statement with the seal of the federal government, which hopefully will help with the French administration.

We recommend you check with the French administrative office you are in contact with to verify if this document is acceptable.

You will complete a sworn statement (but don’t sign), and bring copies of all the supporting documents you have (birth certificate(s), passport(s), and anything else with your name and birthdate).  You can change this document in any way you like – it is your statement. It may be worth adding a few sentences explaining the history of the name change.

We may notarize signatures on the Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent.”

You may also have the French translation of this Form DS-3053 form notarized at a French mairie., please go to this page, step #7 “Show Parental Consent”  and complete Form DS-3053.  You may also have the French translation of this Form DS-3053 form notarized at a French mairie.

  • Each passport holder must schedule an appointment and appear in person.
  • Each passport holder must schedule an appointment and appear in person.
  • More information is available on the ITIN page at
  • Please refer to the Treasury Direct website for detailed instructions.
  • We are unable to cash your savings bonds – we simply notarize your signature.
  • There is no notary fee for this service.
  • We have drafted blank sworn statements in English (PDF  1 MB) or French  (PDF 1 MB) that you can complete to meet the requirements of your requesting U.S. or French agency.
  • We can verify your identity, but cannot attest to the truth of the statement you are making.