See below on how to obtain commonly requested documents and services provided by other organizations.
Certified Copies of Birth, Death, Marriage, or Divorce Certificates
Please refer to the relevant issuing agency or office:
Certified Copies of U.S. Driver’s Licenses or Driving Records
- If you need an English document translated into French, you can use a translator from this list of certified French translators.
- If you need a French document translated into English, you can use a translation service from the U.S. or France. If you use a translator in France, you then may need to have the translation apostilled, or authenticated, by the appropriate Court of Appeals (the French translator can provide more information).
- U.S. Embassies and Consulates do not have the authority to affix an Apostille pursuant to the Hague Convention.
- See below to obtain an Apostille on:
- U.S. Federally issued documents (passports, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad)
- U.S. State issued documents (birth, death, marriage, and divorce certificates, driver’s licenses and driving records)
- French documents (birth, death, marriage, divorce)
Certified Academic Credentials, Transcripts, or Degrees
- Contact the educational institution which issued the document.
- For further information, visit the Department of State’s Authentication of American Academic Credentials for Use Abroad.
Medallion Signature Guarantees
- A Medallion Signature Guarantee can only be performed by an authorized representative of a financial institution participating in a medallion program approved by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
FBI Background Checks
U.S. Embassies and Consulates do not provide this service:
- How to obtain fingerprints and a background check from the FBI.
- FBI official website page
- The U.S. Embassy is not authorized to collect fingerprints.
- You should confirm if the French requesting agency requires the results of the background check to be translated to French and/or apostilled.
- List of certified French translators.
- To obtain an apostille, you can send the FBI search results to the U.S. Department of State Office of Authentication.