Step A: Applicants must schedule an online appointment.
Step B: Passport Application Form
We require that applicants enter required personal information on the Form DS-11. Be sure to answer all questions accurately as any mistakes may result in a delay. Print one-sided pages only** DO NOT SIGN.
- Social Security Number: If the applicant does not currently have an SSN then he/she should fill in the passport application SSN box # 5 with zeros. The applicant MUST also fill out and sign the SSN Declaration (PDF-80 kb) and submit it with the passport application. Absence of the form will result in a delay of passport adjudication.
Step C: Present Proof of U.S. Citizenship
You may prove U.S. Citizenship with any one of the following (original AND one photocopy):
- an original U.S. Birth Certificate, or
- a certified U.S. Birth Certificate, *or
- an original U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad or
- an original U.S. Certification of Birth, or
- an original U.S. Certificate of Citizenship, or
- an original U.S. Naturalization Certificate.
* Some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes. You may order a birth certificate online here: National Center for Health Statistics.
Step D: Present Proof of Identity
The applicant may prove his/her identity with one of the following (provide original AND one photocopy):
You must submit one of the Primary Identification Documents:
- an original valid passport of any country, or
- an original national identity card with photograph, or
- an original valid U.S. or State government ID card, or
- an original U.S. military ID card, or
- Any foreign passport that you may currently hold, have held, or been included in, or
- Name change documentation if you have changed your name since your proof of citizenship was issued. You will be required to provide name change documentation, i.e. your marriage certificate. If you have changed your name by means other than marriage, please contact our office for further information.
Step E: Provide One U.S. Passport Photo
Submit one current U.S. standard size passport photograph for biometric passports. Note: French photo booth photographs are NOT acceptable for U.S. passport issuance. All photos must have a white background. Do NOT staple the photo to your application.
Step F: Method of Payment
Step G: Return envelope requirements, please provide ONE of the following:
- A self-addressed Lettre Suivie 500g, or
- A self-addressed Colissimo pret-a-envoyer 1kg, or
- A self-addressed Chronopost envelope (PDF – 222 KB) for France métropolitaine for the return of passports. Please keep top copy of delivery information with bar code and tracking number for your records (one envelope can contain up to 6 passports).
Once we have received the complete passport application, it takes approximately four to six weeks for receipt of the new passport.
**We require that all applications be completed online and printed from a laser printer. If you choose to submit a hand-written application or print the application on a non-laser printer, this could cause delays in processing your application.