Apply For a Child’s First Passport

All minor children, including newborns and infants, must have their own U.S. passports. 

All children under age 16 must appear in person with appropriate documentation and with both parents.  Parental consent and signatures are mandatory for passport issuance for minors under age 16 and for renewals. 

When you schedule your child’s online appointment (below) please make sure you have all the required documents for your interview with the consul.

If you would like to apply for your child’s first passport, Consular Report of Birth Abroad and U.S. Social Security number, please use these instructions.

Below are the instructions for U.S. Passports  and Social Security numbers only:

A.  Passport Application Form:

The application form for the minor’s passport is called a DS-11.  Please enter 000-00-0000 for the child’s Social Security Number.

Go to DS-11 form. This form must be completed online. Do not sign it.

B.  Supporting Documents: 

  1. Proof of citizenship of the U.S. citizen parent(s). Your current passport is the preferred form of proof. Your U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate is also acceptable. Please bring the original document AND one photocopy;
  2. Identification document of the non-U.S. parent, and one photocopy;
  3. One copy of the foreign birth certificate;
  4. One acceptable U.S. passport photo.  To avoid processing delays, review all the photo requirements. Please note that tips on how to take photos at home rarely produce acceptable results when captured by nonprofessional photographers. To avoid a return trip to the Embassy with acceptable photos, we recommend using a professional photographer. Be sure to clarify that the photo is for a U.S. (not a French) passport since the dimensions are totally different.
  5. Parental Consent:  Either both parents must appear with the baby or the missing parent must provide his/her notarized consent: Form DS-3053.  For more information see Provide Parental Consent.

C.  U.S. Social Security Number:

  • The application for a social security number is called SS-5 (PDF).
  • Go to the SS-5 form (PDF 125 KB).

D.   Consular Fees:

Payment for the first U.S. Passport Application is $105 or 90 Euro.

Fees are payable in US dollars or Euro, in cash or by credit card.  We do not accept any personal checks.  See fees and payment methods.

F.  One Chronopost envelope (PDF – 320 KB) for the return of the first passport .

G. Schedule one online appointment for your child and parents.  To cancel your appointment please visit this webpage.

For more information please refer to the State Department Bureau of Consular Affairs website pages.