Renew a Child’s Passport

  1. Renew a Child’s Passport

Renew a Child’s Passport (under age 16)

All minor children, including newborns and infants, must have their own U.S. passports. 

Beginning December 2017, the Passport Unit has opened 45 appointments a month on Wednesday afternoons to facilitate passport renewals of school aged children.

All children under age 16 must appear in person with appropriate documentation and with both parents.  Parental consent and signatures are mandatory for passport issuance for minors under age 16 and for renewals. 

Need a first passport for your newborn child?  Please visit our Consular Report of Birth Abroad and First Passport webpage.

Refer to these instructions to schedule an appointment.

Note: If you do not already have a first passport for your child, there are special requirements to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and first passport for newborns and infants.

We require that you enter your child’s personal information on Form DS-11 using the online passport wizard. Be sure to answer all questions accurately as any mistakes may result in a delay. Check that you are using the correct form here (PDF-192 kb). Print one-sided pages only.  DO NOT SIGN.


Submit Child’s Current Passport (if applicable) AND 1 photocopy

Passports for Minors:  Provide Parental Consent 

  1. Both parents will appear together and sign the application form (DS-11) in the presence of a Consular Officer or;
  2. One parent appears and signs and submits the non-appearing  parent’s signed, notarized “Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent” (PDF – 160 KB) which authorizes passport issuance for the child, together with the non-appearing parent’s signed photo identification (copy or original document).

The non-appearing parent’s signature may be certified by:

Note: The written consent from the non-applying parent that accompanies an application for a new passport must be less than 3 months old; or

  1. One parent with sole legal custody, or a third party (in Loco Parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 16) must refer to the State Department webpage entry Provide Parental Consent (Step F) for necessary, mandatory documentation.

Note: If none of the documentation on the website of the State Department concerning Parental Consent (Step F) is applicable, the applying parent must submit Form DS-5525 stating why the non-applying parent/guardian’s consent cannot be obtained.

You must submit original documents AND one photocopy.

Submit your child’s last issued U.S. Passport AND one of the documents below:

 Evidence of U.S. Citizenship; present originals AND one photocopy; 

  • Original, or certified U.S. Birth Certificate (showing both parents’ names) issued by the city, county or state if your child was born in the United States;
  • Original Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Birth Certificate if your child was born abroad (if you have Reports of Birth issued for other children, please bring original AND 1 photocopy); or
  • Original Naturalization Certificate, or
  • Original Certificate of Citizenship.


You must submit original document AND 1 photocopy. 

  • Previously issued, undamaged U.S. or foreign passport, or
  • Original Naturalization Certificate, or
  • Current Government Employee ID (city, state or federal), or
  • Current Military ID (military and dependents).

U.S. Social Security number:

Providing the child’s U.S. Social Security number in box # 5 is mandatory if your child has been issued a number.  If you have not filed for a Social Security number for your child, and do not wish to obtain one, then you should fill in the passport application SSN box # 5 with zeros.

You MUST also fill out and sign the SSN Declaration (PDF-80 kb) for your child and submit it with the passport application. Please indicate your child’s name and sign the form indicating “name of parent on behalf on my child” prior to submission.  Absence of the form will result in a delay of passport adjudication.

For infants, parents may complete the application Form SS-5 (PDF 122 KB). in order to obtain a social security number.

  • If the passport being renewed contains a photo that does not clearly resemble the applicant, i.e., baby photo in passport, you MUST provide transition photos.

Passport Fees.

You may pay the passport fee for a minor child by:

  1. Credit card issued by American Express, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover;
  2. Cash in Euros or Dollars in bills only, no coins — we do NOT accept any personal checks. (See fees and payment methods.)
  3. Please bring EXACT change, we do not have coins in order to give you the difference.


Return envelope requirements, please provide ONE of the following:

  • A self-addressed Lettre Suivie 500g, or
  • A self-addressed Colissimo pret-a-envoyer 1kg, or
  • A self-addressed Chronopost envelope (PDF – 222 KB)  for France métropolitaine for the return of passports. Please keep top copy of delivery information with bar code and tracking number for your records (one envelope can contain up to 6 passports).

Please allow approximately four to six weeks for receipt of the new passport.

For more information please refer to the State Department Bureau of Consular Affairs website pages.