General Elections, Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Now all U.S. citizens can receive their blank ballots electronically. Depending on the state in which you are eligible to vote, you may get your ballot by email, fax, or internet download.

Get Your Application to Vote by Absentee Ballot Every Election Year

To start, go to to complete a new Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). Select the state of your last legal U.S. residence.*

Next, print and sign the form then return it to your local election office in the United States. An Absentee Voting Overview is available here.

We recommend overseas U.S. citizens get in the habit of completing FPCAs each January. You should include your email address on the form so it’s easier for your election officials to reach you if there is a problem.

If you request electronic delivery and include your email address you’ll receive your blank ballot 45 days before general elections and generally 30 days before special, primary, and run-off elections for federal offices. Most states now have voter registration verification websites, and many offer a means of tracking the status of your registration and ballot.

Repeat Voting

IMPORTANT NOTE: States are no longer required to automatically send ballots to voters for an entire election cycle so everyone who wants to vote in U.S. elections from overseas should send in a new Federal Post Card Application in January of each year.

For more information and guidance, please visit

*Voting Residence: You need a U.S. voting residence to vote by absentee ballot – even if you are only voting for federal offices. Your election office needs your exact voting residence address to determine which offices and candidates you are eligible to vote for, and to send you the appropriate ballot for your voting precinct.

Your voting residence is your address in the State in which you were last domiciled, immediately prior to leaving the United States.

This residence may remain valid even if:      

  • You no longer own property or have other ties to that State.
  • Your intent to return to that State is uncertain.
  • Your previous address is no longer a recognized residential address.

If you have any questions about registering to vote overseas, please contact the Voting Assistance Officer in:

Paris at:

Strasbourg at: 

Marseille at:

Remember, your vote counts!  

Be absent but accounted for! 

Important Note: Embassies and consulates are not polling places. Same-day in-person voting is not available outside the United States.

More information is available here: